With chapter 3, I can see how just reading from the text books is not enough. The students see those books and how big and bulky they are, who would want to read them. Sure, they might have the information in them that is needed, but seriously, most students won't read them. I know that when I was in high school, I hated reading those text books. I rarely took them home because they were so heavy and I didn't want to carry them. One thing I have a feeling didn't change is that students still hate having to carry those huge books.
I think it is a good idea to bring in supplementary reading for the students. Get some material that relates more to them than textbooks that are probably years old in the first place. If you can get the students into reading something other than the textbook, they could possibly be willing to discuss their thoughts in class. I mean, look at the Harry Potter books. Sure it's non fiction, but kids and adults were able to relate to the characters in the books. Because people were able to relate, more and more people bought and read them.
The reading material doesn't have to be like these types of books. They can be about real people, and their life trials. If you can find a subject that can pertain to your area of teaching and the students can relate, then all the better. Also in chapter 3, I liked how it discussed the idea of have a single set of textbooks. This could give the teachers chances to give different homework projects other than reading certain chapters and then answering question at the end of the chapter. It could be good to get the teachers to think of some new ways to convey the lesson of the day. It could also allow more funding to go to supplemental teaching tools like novels that are newer and the students can get into. The classics are good, but many students these days can't get into them or relate to them so they loose interest to quickly.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Patrick,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your thoughts at the beginning. The sheer size of textbooks make them daunting to kids in high school, and then they're very dry on top of that. Very few high school students are going to delve into a book of that magnitude. I'm not a fan of doing assigned reading from a textbook in college either, so I wouldn't expect it from middle and high school students, at least not as the only source of reading.